Dale McDowell Surges
to Third Career Southern Nationals Victory in Season Opener
14, 2018) From start to finish, Dale McDowell showed
sheer domination during the Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals
Series presented by Sunoco Race Fuels and Tennessee RV opening
event at Wythe Raceway Saturday Night. (McLeod
Media Services Photo)
The Chickamauga, Ga. driver drove the Shane McDowell Racing
entry to his third career series victory in front of a packed
house and the $10,000 payday. McDowell’s Sweet-Bloomquist
Race Car is sponsored by New Era Industrial, Textron Off Road,
Will Kinzer Foundation for Autism Research, Cometic Gasket and
Quality Natural Gas.
From the drop of the green flag McDowell would set a blistering
pace over the 30-car field. He would lead the entire distance
of the 53-lapper and go on to take victory over fourth starting
Vic Hill, fifth starting Eric Wells, tenth starting Ross Bailes
and 14th-starting Casey Roberts who rounded out the top-five at
Four caution flags slowed the race. The first yellow was on lap
14 as Joey Coulter would come to a stop at the top of turn two
with mechanical problems. The second yellow flag would fly on
lap 24 as Steve Casebolt spun in turn three and with his nosepiece
underneath the race car was unable to continue. Casebolt was running
sixth at the time. The third caution would fly on lap 43 as Dwayne
Joyce would slow in turn two and the final yellow flag waved on
the 50th lap as Shanon Buckingham slowed in turn four with a right-rear
flat tire. Buckingham was running in the top five at the time
of the flat tire and at one point in the race was running in the
runner up slot. Buckingham’s crew went to work, changed
the tire and he restarted in the 18th spot and finished one spot
The series moves to Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, Tenn. on
Monday Night July 16th paying $3,500-to-win at the McCarter Family
promoted facility for Round Two of the 11-race journey.
Official Summary of Results
Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series
Round 1-Wythe Raceway-July 14, 2018
1. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
2. Vic Hill-Mosheim, Tenn.
3. Eric Wells-Hazard, Ky.
4. Ross Bailes-Clover, S.C.
5. Casey Roberts-Toccoa, Ga.
6. Johnny Pursley-Clover, S.C.
7. Aaron Ridley-Chatsworth, Ga.
8. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
9. Dennis Franklin-Gaffney, S.C.
10. Walker Arthur-Forest, Va.
11. Forrest Trent-Talbott, Tenn.
12. Craig Vosbergen-Perth, W. Australia
13. Cla Knight-North Augusta, S.C.
14. Jeff Smith-Dallas, N.C.
15. Jonathan Rowan-Jackson, Tenn.
16. Justin Williams-Concord, Va.
17. Shanon Buckingham-Morristown, Tenn.
18. Robby Moses-Maryville, Tenn.
19. Carder Miller-Salem, Va.
20. Kyle Pierce-Statesville, N.C.
21. Doug Sanders-Belmont, N.C.
22. Peter Nicola-Melbourne, Australia
23. Jeff Neubert-Rockford, Tenn.
24. Dwayne Joyce-Walkertown, N.C.
25. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
26. Jason Lawrence-Pilot, Va.
27. Steve Casebolt-Richmond, Ind.
28. Joey Coulter-Concord, N.C.
29. Chris Combs-Isom, Ky.
30. David Crabtree-Maryville, Tenn.
31. Van Lester-Dandridge, Tenn. (Did Not Start)
Overall Fast Qualifier: Donald McIntosh-16.531 seconds
Time of Race: 36 minutes, 50 seconds
Lap Leaders: McDowell (1-53)
Cautions: Four (laps 14, 24, 43, 50)
Red Flags: None
Heat-1 Finish: Dale McDowell, Eric Wells, Donald McIntosh, Jonathan
Rowan, Joey Coulter, Kyle Pierce, Peter Nicola, Jason Lawrence.
Heat-2 Finish: Shanon Buckingham, Aaron Ridley, Cla Knight,
Forrest Trent, Carder Miller, Robby Moses, Dwayne Joyce, Van Lester.
Heat-3 Finish: Brandon Overton, Steve Casebolt, Ross Bailes,
Casey Roberts, Jeff Smith, Justin Williams, Doug Sanders, Jeff
Heat-4 Finish: Vic Hill, Johnny Pursley, Dennis Franklin, Walker
Arthur, Chris Combs, Craig Vosbergen, David Crabtree.
Current Series Points:
1. Dale McDowell-200
2. Vic Hill-196
3. Eric Wells-194
4. Ross Bailes-192
5. Casey Roberts-190
6. Johnny Pursley-188
7. Aaron Ridley-186
8. Donald McIntosh-184
9. Dennis Franklin-182
10. Walker Arthur-180
* All Photos Below Courtesy of McLeod