Brandon Overton Gets
Fourth Schaeffer’s Southern Nationals Victory at Crossville
26, 2018) Brandon Overton has really come out strong
within just the last few weeks of driving for a new team. The
Evans, Ga. driver knocked down another victory Thursday Night
in a great battle at Crossville Speedway and collected $3,500.
(McLeod Media Services Photo)
This was the ninth career victory for Overton, of Evans, Ga.,
while driving the Billy Franklin-owned, BCI Asphalt, Textron Off
Road, Hoosier Racing Tire, RW Powell Construction-sponsored Clements
Racing Engines-powered Rocket Chassis.
Three caution flags slowed the event. The first yellow came on
lap nine as Perry Delany slowed on the front stretch. Business
was picking up at the front of the pack before the yellow flag
as Michael Chilton was leading with Casey Roberts and Brandon
Overton in hot pursuit. After the restart, the three battled for
the top spot swapping the lead several times before Overton would
hang on to the top spot on lap ten. The next yellow would wave
on the 24th lap as Ricky Tinch would go up in smoke on the backstretch.
On lap 31, the final caution would fly as Ivedent Lloyd slowed
with a flat tire. Overton would hold on to the top spot at the
finish with Casey Roberts finishing second, Dale McDowell third,
Michael Chilton fourth and Craig Vosbergen finishing fifth.
Friday’s ninth points racing event takes the tour to Smoky
Mountain Speedway in Maryville, Tenn. racing 53 laps for $5,300-to-win.
Blount Motorsports driver Casey Roberts leads the points with
just six markers over Dale McDowell. Brandon Overton is third
in the series points just 40 points out of the lead.
Official Summary of Results
Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series
Round 8-Crossville Speedway-Crossville, TN
1. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
2. Casey Roberts-Toccoa, Ga.
3. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
4. Michael Chilton-Salvisa, Ky.
5. Craig Vosbergen-Perth, W. Australia
6. Brad Skinner-Springhill, Tenn.
7. Randy Weaver-Crossville, Tenn.
8. Joey Coulter-Concord, N.C.
9. Jadon Frame-Winchester, Tenn.
10. Aaron Ridley-Chatsworth, Ga.
11. Forrest Trent-Talbott, Tenn.
12. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
13. Cla Knight-North Augusta, S.C.
14. Ryan King-Seymour, Tenn.
15. Ivedent Lloyd Jr.-Ocala, Fla.
16. David Doherty-Sydney, Australia
17. John Ownbey-Cleveland, Tenn.
18. Kenny Collins-Colbert, Ga.
19. Craig Greer-Cleveland, Tenn.
20. Ricky Tinch-Deer Lodge, Tenn.
21. Dusty Carver-Englewood, Tenn.
22. David Crabtree-Maryville, Tenn.
23. Perry Delaney-Sparta, Tenn.
Overall Fast Qualifier: Joey Coulter-12.059
Time of Race: 18 minutes, 59 seconds
Lap Leaders: Chilton (1-7), Roberts (8-9), Overton (10-35)
Cautions: Three (laps 9, 24, 31)
Red Flags: None
Heat-1 Finish: Randy Weaver, Donald McIntosh, Aaron Ridley, Jadon
Frame, David Crabtree, Forrest Trent, Craig Greer.
Heat-2 Finish: John Ownbey, David Doherty, Brad Skinner, Dusty
Carver, Perry Delaney, Ricky Tinch.
Current Series Points (after eight races):
1. Casey Roberts-1,520
2. Dale McDowell-1,514
3. Brandon Overton-1,480
4. Aaron Ridley-1,454
5. Donald McIntosh-1,452
6. Joey Coulter-1,424
7. Forrest Trent-1,398
8. Cla Knight-1,380
9. Craig Vosbergen-1,137
10. Shanon Buckingham-1,046
Current Rookie of the Year Points:
1. Forrest Trent-1,398
2. Cla Knight-1,380
Dale McDowell-Wythe Raceway-$10,000
Cory Hedgecock-411 Motor Speedway-$3,500
Brandon Overton-Toccoa Raceway-$3,500
Brandon Overton-Swainsboro Raceway-$5,300 (July 20)
Brandon Overton-Swainsboro Raceway-$5,300 (July 21)
Austin Horton-Rome Speedway-$5,300
Vic Hill-Boyd’s Speedway-$3,500
Brandon Overton-Crossville Speedway-$3,500
* All Photos Below Courtesy of McLeod